Thursday 30 July 2009

I am an artist!

Yes, I am an artist.
However, I am not (yet) a theatre person.

The first two days confused, challenged and intimidated me: coming into a room where everyone wants to be barefoot, trying to raise my voice over a crowd of people knowing exactly what kind of wonders there are in a boring-looking suitcase, feeling the pressure to come up with something brilliant. At the end of day two I wanted to hide in a corner and watch through a gash in the curtains.

I'm glad I didn't. Today I was rewarded with a
growing confidence that made it completely normal to reveal my sleeping positions to a group of people who were strangers not too long ago. Maybe because sleep is one of my favourite things to do, it felt comfortable enough. I found myself almost falling asleep vertically. And now we're starting to create our own bits, I reach more familiar territory - developing ideas, visualising, lighting - I'll get to use projectors, my how I love projections! - but I am no longer scared* to stand on a stage as a performer, too.


Anna Benner

*well, yes I am, really, but it gets a little less every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment