Tuesday 4 August 2009

Lips, eyes and skin...


Day…erm...*lili struggles to count her fingers*...Nine… and my first blog attempt…

What an amazing bunch of multi-talented people I find myself working alongside… Each and everyone a treasure in their own field of experience and beyond… As cliche and bum licking as that sounds... every word of it true!

I embarked on this workshop looking for adventure and I haven’t been disappointed… I have pushed boundaries and pull muscles that I didn’t know I had! Each day I dip my toes willingly into the unknown and am both exhausted and exhilarated by the experience!

My own practice works within the loose framework of the surreal and the absurd, which generally manifests itself through sculpture and fine art performance… Usually working either solo or part of the duo ‘Folie a Trois’ with my good friend Sarah Grainger Jones. So working as part of such a huge group is unknown territory for little old me. I never imagined it would be quite as powerful as it is… We are at times menacing and destructive then at the blink of an eye, delicate and graceful… No mean feat for some 20 something individuals who barely know each other a week!

The past few days have found us in smaller groups working site-specifically in various points of the People show building. Michele, Nicola, Lyndal, Camilla, Alice and myself are in the garden. Not the best of spots to work in today… But we braved the good old English summertime in our matching red plastic ponchos (think strawberry flavoured condoms!) And began adding to the foundations we have already built… and, in my case especially, discovered a few things that really should be left alone! BTW ladies… I have to insist the lobster stays… Even if only as my cigarette holder! ; )

Right, that’s enough of my waffling for one evening… I have to catch up with all the blogging before hitting la la land… Oh, and thank you Michele for understanding that its perfectly plausible to carrying lips, eyes and skin around in a suitcase ; )

See all you loonies in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment